A new guide for general practices
A new guide for general practices explains how to make the most of the nurse role during COVID-19.
Nurses can support GPs and practice teams by:
- Risk identification, screening and triage
- Implementing and overseeing quality and infection control measures
- Coordinating flu clinics to ensure safety of staff and patients
- Care planning and chronic disease management with GPs, including telehealth
- Population health checks
- Identifying and contacting at-risk patients, to ensure ongoing routine care
- Relevant business activities (eg policy and procedure development for practice accreditation; cleansing data and uploading to My Health Records)
- Staff education and support
Nurses attract revenue streams that will sustain practices today and into the future. The guide outlines the relevant MBS item numbers and other payments and incentives that support nurse activities in general practice.
The guide has been endorsed by the RACGP, the Australian Association of Practice Management, the Australian College of Rural and Remote Medicine, and the Australian Primary Health Care Nurses Association.