This policy is currently under review. Until we publish the new policy, this version remains valid and applicable.
1. Practice Experience Program – Standard Stream Transfer Policy
1.1 Policy number: CO-E-0050.0
1.2 Category: Education
1.3 Approval date: September 2020
1.4 Revision due date: September 2021
1.5 Unit responsible: Education Services
The RACGP Practice Experience Program – Standard Stream (PEP Standard) has been developed to provide non-vocationally recognised doctors with a supported program grounded in individualised learning and workplace based assessment.
Participants of the Practice Experience Program may apply to transfer between Training Organisations, which, for the purposes of this policy, encompasses Regional Training Organisations (RTOs) and the Remote Vocational Training Scheme (RVTS).
This policy aims to describe the application requirements and process by which a PEP Standard participant may transfer between Training Organisations.
This policy applies to all participants in the PEP Standard.
For the purposes of this policy:
- Allocated Training Organisation means the Training Organisation in which the participant was originally placed during the application process.
- Clinical break means a period of up to three months during which the participant may continue educational program components while not working clinically.
- Extenuating and unforeseen circumstances are considered on a case by case basis, but must relate to circumstances which were unforeseen, outside the participant’s control and which can be shown to have a direct and significant impact on the participant’s ability to complete the PEP requirements in their allocated training region, including:
- ill-health (other than minor illnesses) with valid certificates;
- carer’s leave with valid certificates;
- acute adverse life circumstances
- Australian Defence Force deployment leave;
- Loss of employment, medical registration or provider number; or
- Other circumstances involving significant changes to a participant’s circumstances.
- Participant means a medical practitioner enrolled in the Practice Experience Program.
- Recipient Training Organisation means the Training Organisation to which the participant wishes to transfer.
5.1 Participants are expected to remain with their Allocated Training Organisation for the duration of their time in the PEP.
5.2 The RACGP recognises that participants may need to transfer Training Organisations during their time in the PEP. Participants may be able to transfer Training Organisations and begin their next PEP term with the Recipient Training Organisation for any reason. Participants are not automatically entitled to a transfer; each request will be assessed upon application on a case by case basis.
5.3 All requests for transfer must be approved by both the Allocated Training Organisation and the Recipient Training Organisation.
5.4 Participants are responsible for maintaining their employment whilst applications for transfer and new provider number are under review.
5.5 If a Participant requires a transfer during a PEP term, they may apply for a special exemption by submitting the Special Exemption Application Form.
For all other requests, participants will start at the Recipient Training Organisation at the start of their next term, in line with this policy.
6. Requirements for transfer
6.1 Where a Participant has secured a job at a new practice, they must notify the RACGP by completing the Change in Circumstances form via the PEP portal. The RACGP will assess the new practice for suitability to support the Participant’s progression in the PEP.
6.2 If the new practice is assessed as suitable, the RACGP will liaise with the Allocated Training Organisation and Recipient Training Organisation to facilitate the transfer.
6.3 Following approval of a transfer, participants are required to apply for a new provider number. This may take up to 12 weeks following approval of the transfer.
6.4 Participants may take leave from the program while eligibility for a new provider number is being assessed and their provider number approved, or they may undertake the program on a clinical break for up to three months for this period, in line with the Practice Experience Program - Standard Stream Leave and Extensions Policy.
6.5 If the new practice is assessed as unsuitable, or if the Allocated Training Organisation and Recipient Training Organisation do not both approve of the transfer, the request for transfer will be declined.
7. Related policies, documents and legislation
All related policies are available here.
All related guidance documents are available here.
8.1 Access to published policy
This policy will be available via the RACGP website as detailed in clause 7.
8.2 Promulgation of published policy
Relevant staff members will be provided communications explaining the function and role of this policy.
8.3 Review of this policy
This policy will have a review cycle of one year.