Continuing professional development for GPs
Continuing professional development (CPD) for medical practitioners includes a range of activities to meet individual learning that is relevant to their scope of practice, in order to maintain, develop, update and enhance knowledge, skills and performance to ensure that they deliver appropriate and safe care.
As adult learners, Australian GPs take responsibility for:
- undertaking personal learning to support their CPD
- identifying CPD needs throughout lifelong learning
- planning how those identified CPD needs should be addressed
- continuously reflecting on their individual professional standards, scope of practice and competencies
- shaping learning assessments according to individual professional needs and the needs of the communities which they serve.
In addition, a GPs CPD needs to promote quality systems-based approaches in the workplace and in the team in which they work.