Date: 21 August 2023
The RACGP has provided a submission to the Independent Review of the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS).
The Minister for the National Disability Insurance Scheme, the Hon Bill Shorten MP, announced a review of the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) on Tuesday 18 October 2022. The review took an informal submission approach called 'Have your say'. Submissions were sought from participants, their families and carers; representative organisations, workers and providers; and the wider disability community.
Our submission to the review provides feedback on the operation of the NDIS from the unique perspective of general practitioners. It outlines seven key principles designed to support the involvement of GPs in disability care and management.
- Provide clear information on NDIS processes
- Ensure GPs have input into the NDIS planning process
- Ensure NDIS funding is allocated appropriately and fairly
- Provide access to culturally safe services
- Increase collaboration between GPs, other healthcare professionals and the disability sector
- Ensure GPs are appropriately remunerated to support the healthcare needs of patients with disability and help them apply for the NDIS
- Improving access to NDIS supports in rural and remote areas
Read the letter
Independent review of the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) - Submission (PDF)