What is a health app?
An app is a piece of software which can run on the internet, smartphone, computer or any other electronic device.
Many apps have the potential to encourage better health but there are concerns about the accuracy and appropriateness of information in some apps and their privacy and security settings.
Health apps can be divided into five main categories:
- Apps for healthy living; these form the majority of health apps. They focus on healthy eating, physical activity, smoking prevention and mental wellbeing.
- Apps for clinical diagnosis; examples include symptom checkers, digital imaging, lab results review
- Apps for remote monitoring; examples include remote heart monitoring, glucose levels, telehealth services
- Apps for personal health records; they keep a record of personal health information
- Apps for reminders; they focus on medicines compliance