AMC Bridging program
Bridging Program for doctors preparing for the Australian Medical Council examinations
The RACGP AMC Bridging Programs have been developed to meet the needs of doctors with overseas qualifications who are preparing to sit the Australian Medical Council's examinations. The Programs are designed to rapidly improve candidates' professional knowledge in the areas necessary to pass the AMC examinations and for subsequent clinical practice. The Bridging Programs can assist doctors who trained overseas and who:
- are seeking professional recognition in Australia;
- are preparing for the AMC examinations;
- have experienced difficulties with past AMC examinations;
- are seeking guided learning to target performance gaps before sitting the AMC examinations.
The RACGP offers two AMC Bridging Courses:
1. The MCQ program
The MCQ program is a ten week intensive program in preparation for the AMC MCQ examination. They are run three times a year.
The majority of the program is run online (internet), although you are also required to attend 3 face-to-face workshops, usually a month apart.
Each week for 10 weeks, the participants receive 40 MCQs ONLINE which remain online for TWO weeks. You will receive a total of 400 questions online throughout the program in this format. In addition you will participate in two three-hour, 125 questions trial examination questions online.
We also provide access to our AFP journal (Australian Family Physician) on-line resources - AFP Clinical Challenge for six months. This on-line activity comprises a total of 16 multiple choice questions. The questions are drawn from articles each month's issue of "AFP". You are encouraged to read the relevant "AFP articles" and use them as a resource to answer the questions. Orientation to this resource will be provided.
You are also required to attend three face-to-face workshops and the dates for these are outlined at the top of the application form
- The first of these is an orientation day on the first day of the program. During this workshop you will be given details of the process of doing a multiple choice question paper, information on how to navigate the online learning website, and you will undertake a short trial examination in order to test your skills. This paper will then be analysed in detail by an experienced medical educator.
- The second and third face-to-face workshops will take place during the program and again at the end. For both of these workshops you will have previously sat a three hour, 125 questions trial examination paper online and the weekend will involve analysing this paper, question by question. You will receive relevant readings and information
All the questions have been upgraded and reviewed to ensure they reflect the style and breadth of topics undertaken in the AMC MCQ exam.
2. Clinical Bridging Course
The Clinical Bridging Course is a 8 week course with the Trial Exam at the conclusion.
The Clinical Skills Bridging Program in preparation for the AMC examinations runs on consecutive Fridays from 9.00am - 5.00pm (with the exception of the Trial Exam which will be on a Saturday).
The program is divided into two parts. The first part is the eight week clinical program developed by expert medical educators experienced in the AMC examination process.
The program is based on adult small group learning principles and you will be assigned to a group of no more than 6 participants to one medical educator. The eight week program involves intensive practice at simulated role plays and examination activities.
The program promotes active learning. You will be involved in role plays both as the patient and as the practising doctor. This provides every participant on the program a chance to repetitively practise communication skills and techniques. Each case studied will be supported by individual feedback which will be provided to each participant.
In the second part, the Trial Exam will be held at the conclusion of the program. This is a simulated multi-station trial examination reflecting the new AMC examination format. You will be critically assessed by our experienced medical educators – many of whom are AMC examiners . Individualised feedback is given following the trial examination.
You will be assessed in the following areas during the examination;
- Physical Examination
- Counselling/patient education
We provide access to our AFP (Australian Family Physician) on-line resources - AFP Clinical Challenge for six months. This on-line activity comprises a total of 16 multiple choice questions. The questions are drawn from articles each month's issue of AFP. You are encouraged to read the relevant AFP articles and use them as a resource to answer the questions. Orientation to this resource will be provided.