Background This study evaluated a clinical audit and evidence based practice
guide designed to improve general practitioners’ assessment and
management of erectile dysfunction.
General practitioners reported several significant improvements across the audit period:
- GP initiated discussions about erectile dysfunction with ‘at risk’ patients nearly doubled
- an 18% increase in psychological history taking with ‘at risk’ patients
- a 19% increase in assessment of current erectile dysfunction patients’ needs and preferences for treatment
- decreased specialist referrals
- increased provision of phosphodiesterase inhibitor samples.
Conclusion This clinical audit and practice guide was developed specifically and
uniquely for GPs in Australia. Findings provide some support for the
combined use of the clinical audit and practice guide to elicit positive
changes in erectile dysfunction assessment and management.
Download the PDF for the full article.
Download article PDF