Australian Family Physician
Australian Family Physician


Volume 40, Issue 10, October 2011

Motor accident insurance authority forms A guide for GPs

Carolyn O’Shea David Bolzonello
Download article
Cite this article    BIBTEX    REFER    RIS

This article forms part of our ‘Paperwork’ series for 2011, providing information about a range of paperwork that general practitioners complete regularly. The aim of the series is to provide information on the purpose of the paperwork, and hints on how to complete it accurately. This will allow the GP to be more efficient and the patient to have an accurately completed piece of paperwork for the purpose required.
In each jurisdiction of Australia there is a system to provide appropriate compensation for persons who are injured or die as a result of a transport accident. The schemes are compulsory and usually funded via a levy on vehicle registration or compulsory insurance. The exact eligibility and structure varies greatly between states and territories.
This article highlights the important role that the general practitioner plays in an injured person’s recovery, and provides an overview of the types of forms commonly requested from GPs and general guidelines for how these should be completed.
In order to determine the appropriate entitlements and reasonable treatment and services an injured person requires as a result of a transport accident injury, the authority may require information from the treating GP. The use of specific forms for this information aims to efficiently facilitate the allocation of these benefits. It is important that forms are completed accurately and provide sufficient information to enable the insurer to process the claim promptly. Regardless of whether or not the patient can claim insurance, the GP plays a pivotal role in any injured person’s recovery and return to work.

Download the PDF for the full article.

Download article PDF


Australian Family Physician RACGP

Printed from Australian Family Physician - https://www.racgp.org.au/afp/2011/october/motor-accident-insurance-authority-forms
© The Australian College of General Practitioners www.racgp.org.au