Summary of July 2014 changes
A high level review and update of the Guidelines was undertaken in July 2014. A more comprehensive update is expected to be undertaken in 2016. The July 2014 review resulted in the following key changes:
- Data on Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander smoking rates updated.
- Inclusion of accredited tobacco treatment specialists as a referral option.
- Additional evidence from a Cochrane review added indicating that combination nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) or varenicline are the most effective forms of pharmacotherapy.
- Update of the NRT section encouraging health professionals to consider combination NRT.
- Addition of information on new types of NRT and removal of types no longer available.
- Update of evidence on varenicline, mental health and cardiovascular disease.
- Update of section on smoking in pregnancy with clearer advice on the role of NRT.
- Expansion of the section on e-cigarettes with more information on current state of knowledge of their potential role and possible risks.