CPD accredited activity
The Introduction to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultural awareness in general practice activity aims to improve the health of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples by enhancing the cultural awareness of GPs, general practice staff, medical students, primary health care staff, and other health care providers.
This online module was developed as an alternative pathway to increase access to cultural awareness training.
This 6 hour CPD Accredited Activity aims to help participants to: extend their knowledge about Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander history and culture, explore how attitudes and values can influence perceptions, assumptions and behaviours in a clinical setting, and discuss key ways the practice team can be more culturally aware. The module is accredited and 6 CPD hours will be awarded for completion of the course modules:
- 3 hours for educational activities
- 3 hours for reviewing performance.
- Describe two ways in which current and past experiences of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples may influence current health circumstances
- Identify at least one strategy to ensure the correct, consistent identification and recording of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander patients in general practice
- Identify at least two strategies that the practice could use to address some of the key barriers to access for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples in mainstream primary health services
- Identify at least two ways in which effective communication and the doctor-patient relationship can influence clinical outcomes for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander patients
- Outline the rationale for participation in cultural safety training, engagement with local communities and continued learning, planning and improvement to develop a culturally safe practice
- Identify at least three specific actions that could be implemented immediately in their own health service to enhance cultural awareness
This activity is available at no additional cost for RACGP members. To enrol, please visit the gplearning website.
Non-members can undertake this module at a cost of $179. To enrol, please email your registration form to firstname.lastname@example.org or call on 1800 000 251.
Frequently asked questions
The RACGP was pleased to be able to offer the module at no charge for non-members for four years as a CPD activity (non-accredited). The module has been upgraded, and now offers an improved learning experience and greater interactivity for users. The activity is a CPD Accredited Activity for our GP members.
The upgrading of the module has cost the RACGP a significant amount of money and the price point is indicative of the quality of the activity. Most cultural awareness training costs upwards of $350, so we believe we are offering a competitive product in the market – a six hour module at $179. As this module is accredited, it can be undertaken by a GP and other practice staff in order to qualify for the Federal Government’s Practice Incentive Payment Indigenous Health Incentive (PIP IHI). More information about the PIP IHI.
Medical students can join the RACGP for free and access activities on gplearning at no cost.
Cultural awareness and cultural safety training criteria
This document defines cultural awareness and cultural safety and sets out the specific educational criteria for externally delivered cultural awareness education and cultural safety training. It describes the systems and processes to facilitate the adjudication of applications from training providers to provide such education and training through CPD.