The return of Syphilis in NSW – What you need to know
On-demand recorded 20 Apr 2021
Syphilis notifications in NSW continue to rise and affect a range of different patients, including pregnant women, Aboriginal people and men who have sex with men.
This webinar will update your knowledge of:
- syphilis epidemiology and microbiology
- testing opportunities
- results interpretation and management, and;
- options for contact tracing.
The webinar will also include a patient’s experience of accessing sexual health care.
GPs, practice nurses, midwives and other health professionals are welcome to attend.
- Describe the epidemiology of increased syphilis notifications in NSW among different patient groups
- Describe syphilis testing recommendations for at risk patients, in particular antenatal testing to prevent congenital syphilis
- Identify opportunities to promote and provide syphilis testing and management in a range of consultations
- Interpret a case study showing symptomatic presentations, result interpretation, treatment and contact tracing
This event attracts 2 CPD points
Dr Tim Senior
Tim is a GP at Tharawal Aboriginal Corporation in South Western Sydney.
Dr Vincent Cornelisse
BSc(Hons), MBBS, FRACGP, FAChSHM, PhD
Staff specialist in sexual health medicine, Kirketon Road Centre - NSW Health
Conjoint Senior Lecturer, The Kirby Institute – UNSW
Clinical Advisor - ASHM