The GPMHSC is made up of a committee which includes representatives from general practice, psychiatry, psychology and the community. The RACGP provides Secretariat services, and chairs the group. The GPMHSC is funded by the Commonwealth Department of Health.
Committee members are nominated by:
- The Royal Australian College of General Practitioners
- The Australian College of Rural and Remote Medicine
- Mental Health Australia (consumer and carer representatives)
- The Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists
- The Australian Psychological Society