General practitioners (GPs) are the first point of contact for most Australians seeking healthcare.
A thriving, accessible and high-quality general practice sector is vital to the health of Australia.
The RACGP’s General Practice: Health of the Nation report provides annual insights and draws on specifically commissioned research spanning six years to highlight point-in-time and longer-term trends in Australian general practice. The 2022 report reflects the experiences of GPs from across Australia who were surveyed between 20 April and 15 May 2022. Their feedback was collated with data from a variety of sources to provide a unique overview of the general practice sector.
Each year, members select a topic of focus for the report and this year’s area of focus was sustainability of general practice.
The 2022 General Practice: Health of the Nation report highlights concerning issues that have arisen after years of chronic underfunding. These include:
- burnout among the profession
- unsustainable workload and mounting administrative and regulatory burden impacting on the provision of patient care
- a declining interest in the profession as a preferred career path and a declining willingness from current GPs to recommend the profession as a career.
- worsening workforce issues with increasing numbers of GPs intending to retire or cease practicing over the next 10 years
- underfunding of general practice and the unsustainability of general practice as a business