When to apply

Internship year

During your final year of university, you need to apply for your postgraduate year 1 (PGY1).

PGY1 is primarily spent in public hospitals and/or community settings and consists of rotations that provide practical experience in each of the speciality areas of Australian medicine.

Postgraduate Medical Councils (PMCs) in each state/ territory are responsible for developing the education and training requirements for the internship year and can assist with the process of matching with and applying to hospitals in your state/territory.

For more information, visit the CPMEC website.

Postgraduate resident years

While there is no requirement to complete hospital training (PGY2) prior to entry into general practice training, some junior doctors choose to undertake 1 – 2 years of hospital experience before committing to a specialist training program.

If you do complete additional hospital experience after your internship, you may be eligible for recognition of prior learning (RPL) once you commence general practice training.