About the Remote Vocational Training Scheme
The Remote Vocational Training Scheme (RVTS) is a flexible, government-funded program providing vocational training for medical practitioners in rural, remote and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities throughout Australia.
Supervision is facilitated remotely and delivery caters to the unique needs of doctors working in remote communities by supporting them to achieve Fellowship through a distance education model. It allows training to be completed in an accredited post, without leaving your community.
RVTS has two streams of trainees:
- The Remote Stream for doctors working in rural & remote Australia (*Modified Monash Model 4-7)
- The AMS Stream, providing training for doctors working in Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Services
(*Modified Monash Model 2-7)
Both streams train towards RACGP Fellowship including Fellowship of the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners (FRACGP) and the Rural Generalist Fellowship (FRACGP-RG).
RVTS has moved to two intakes per year for a total of 32 training positions, 22 in the Remote training stream, and 10 in the AMS training stream.
Next application dates:
2023 January Intake (Round 2)
- Training to commence 23rd January 2023, 16 positions
- Applications from: 31st October to 13th November 2022
2023 July Intake (Round 1)
- Training to commence in a mid-year intake in July 2023, 16 positions
- Applications from: tbc 6th March 2023 to 16th April 2023
Applications can be made direct to the Remote or AMS streams, or via Targeted Recruitment which aims to recruit doctors to locations of high workforce need across Australia.
Why train with RVTS?
- Stay in your community for the duration of your training toward GP Fellowship – FRACGP and FARGP
- A great combination of remote and face to face training and supervision
- Personalised supervision and comprehensive support
- Internationally recognised GP Fellowship Training pathway
- High fellowship achievement rate
- RVTS registrars eligible for the A1 Medicare schedule
- RVTS is fully funded by the Australian Government – and
- No application fee!
Find out more on the RVTS website.
How to apply
For details on eligibility and how to apply, please visit the RVTS website.