About the Remote Vocational Training Scheme
The Remote Vocational Training Scheme (RVTS) is a flexible, government-funded program providing vocational training for medical practitioners in rural, remote and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities throughout Australia.
Supervision is facilitated remotely and delivery caters to the unique needs of doctors working in remote communities by supporting them to achieve Fellowship through a distance education model. It allows training to be completed in an accredited post, without leaving your community.
RVTS has two streams of trainees:
- The Remote Stream for doctors working in rural & remote Australia (*Modified Monash Model 4-7)
- The AMS Stream, providing training for doctors working in Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Services
(*Modified Monash Model 2-7)
Both streams train towards RACGP Fellowship including Fellowship of the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners (FRACGP) and the Rural Generalist Fellowship (FRACGP-RG).
RVTS has moved to two intakes per year for a total of 32 training positions, 22 in the Remote training stream, and 10 in the AMS training stream.
Next application dates:
2024 July Intake
- Training to commence in a mid-year intake in July 2024, 16 positions
- Applications from: 11th March 2024 to 14th April 2024.
2025 January Intake
- Training to commence January 2025, 16 Positions
- Applications from: 12th August 2024 to 1st September 2024.
Applications can be made direct to the Remote or AMS streams, or via Targeted Recruitment which aims to recruit doctors to locations of high workforce need across Australia.
Why train with RVTS?
Stay in your community for the duration of your training toward General Practice (FRACGP) or Rural Generalist Fellowship (FRACGP-RG)
- A great combination of remote and face to face training and supervision
- Tailored, personalised support delivered by:
- Experienced team of remote supervisors, medical educators, and cultural educators
- Dedicated training coordinator
- Peer support - Collegiality - Connection with doctors sharing similar experiences
- RVTS has supported more than 300 communities across Australia through training delivered to close to 500 doctors
- RVTS - in its 25th year of delivering GP fellowship training
- High fellowship achievement rate
- High levels of participant satisfaction
RVTS is fully funded
by the Australian Government – and
No application fee!
Find out more on the RVTS website.
How to apply
For details on eligibility and how to apply, please visit the RVTS website.