25 October 2017
Notice of RACGP policy update
The RACGP wishes to advise GPE candidates of upcoming transitional arrangements relating to the assessment of general practice experience.
In March 2016, the Assessment of General Practice Experience Policy was amended to note that GPE assessments expire after three years from the date of the outcome letter. This was done to ensure that candidates are working within MBA recency regulations. The RACGP is now moving towards full implementation of this policy, to ensure that all GPE candidates undertaking Fellowship exams have valid GPE outcomes, and therefore recent Australian general practice experience.
The way in which the policy will be implemented is as follows:
- Implementation will affect eligibility for the 2018.2 Fellowship exams. Eligibility for the 2018.1 exams will not be affected.
- Any outcome dated on or prior to 28 February 2013 has expired and any previously recognised experience will be voided from the publication of this notice, in line with the GPE Handbook change of March 2016. Candidates wishing to sit future Fellowship exams via the GPE pathway will be required to submit new applications under the applicable policy. These candidates may submit previously assessed experience, which has become void, to be assessed.
- Outcomes dated from 1 March 2013 to 31 December 2014 will be honoured for the purpose of a new GPE assessment until 31 December 2017. Candidates may have new experience assessed to determine their eligibility for the 2018.2 exams if they submit complete applications for new assessments by 31 December 2017.
If new experience additional to an assessment dated 1 March 2013 – 31 December 2014 is not submitted by 31 December 2017, prior assessed experience will expire on 1 January 2018 and candidates will be required to submit a new application under the Assessment of General Practice Experience Policy. These candidates may submit previously recognised experience, which has become void, to be assessed.
- Outcomes dated from 1 January 2015 are currently valid and will expire three years after the date of the outcome letter as per the policy. New experience gained after the previous letter date may be added to valid outcomes in accordance with policy.
- From 1 January 2018 onwards, audits will be undertaken following each enrolment period and candidates with experience outcomes that have expired or will soon expire will be informed of the requirement to apply for new assessments.
- Eligibility for 2018.2 exams will be dependent on valid experience outcomes obtained in the three years prior to enrolling.
The transitional arrangements have been made to ensure that
- The RACGP can move towards all candidates being compliant with RACGP policy.
- The RACGP remains compliant with MBA requirements.
- Candidates are not disadvantaged by the March 2016 change in policy.
The transition will ensure that candidates with existing outcomes and plans to sit future exams are given time to amend or add to their outcomes as the RACGP moves towards full implementation.
The full implementation of the policy will ensure in the future that candidates are informed in advance of their expiry to ensure they have time to resubmit and enrol for future exams.
What if I have questions?
If you have any enquiries relating to the updated procedure, please contact Rebecca Mackinnon, Policy Coordinator, at Rebecca.Mackinnon@racgp.org.au.