1.1 Policy number: CO-E-0028.0
1.2 Category: Education
1.3 Approval date: January 2017
1.4 Revision due date: January 2020
1.5 Unit responsible: Education Services
Candidates must follow the directions outlined in this policy when completing the Recorded Consultations component of the Practice Based Assessment Pathway. This policy is authorised by the CEO.
This policy aims to describe the applicable directions for candidates participating in the Recorded Consultations component of the Practice Based Assessment Pathway.
This policy applies to all PBA Pathway Candidates.
For the purposes of this policy:
- Candidate means a medical practitioner enrolled in the Practice Based Assessment Pathway.
- AKT means Applied Knowledge Test.
- KFP means Key Feature Problems.
- Recorded Consultations means 90 consultations with patients recorded in the candidate’s practice.
- PBA means Practice Based Assessment
- Informed Consent is the permission a patient gives for the recording of their consultation for the purpose of the candidate’s assessment.
- Have passed the AKT and the KFP as a prerequisite to undertaking the Recorded Consultations.
- Commence recording of patient consultations for submission only when directed by the PBA Delivery Team
- Obtain informed written consent from each patient participating in Recorded Consultations using the appropriate Recorded Consultations Patient Consent Form.
- Complete a logbook with details of all Recorded Consultations as specified in the Completing the Recorded Consultations Guidance Document.
- Review and complete a Reflective Learning Tool for each Recorded Consultation.
- Maintain and retain Recorded Consultations in accordance with state legislation regarding the retention of health information.
- Submit the required Recorded Consultations in accordance with the Completing the Recorded Consultations Guidance Document.
- Submit the Recorded Consultations by the applicable date outlined on the RACGP website or as instructed by the PBA delivery team.
Failure to comply with these requirements will be handled as per the Educational Misconduct Policy.
The three examination segments (AKF, KFP and Recorded Consultations) must all be passed within three years of a Candidate’s first examination pass. If not, any pass marks will expire and a new three year period will begin from the next examination segment passed.
7.1 Candidates who withdraw from the RCs up to and including 20 business days before the scheduled date for all submissions will be refunded the examination fee less an AUD 100.00 withdrawal fee. Candidates who withdraw after this time will not receive a refund.
7.2 Special consideration for a late withdrawal under the RACGP Examinations Special Consideration Policy may be considered if the withdrawal was due to circumstances beyond the candidates control.
All policies and procedures related to the PBA Pathway are available on our policy page.
9.1 Access to published policy
This policy will be available via the RACGP website as detailed in clause 8.
9.2 Promulgation of published policy
Relevant staff members will be provided communications explaining the function and role of this policy.
9.3 Review of this policy
This policy will have a review cycle of three years.