1. Practice Experience Program Requirements for Fellowship Policy
1.1 Policy number: CO-E-0046.0
1.2 Category: Education
1.3 Approval date: September 2018
1.4 Revision due date: September 2019
1.5 Unit responsible: Education Services
The RACGP Practice Experience Program (PEP) has been developed to provide non-vocationally recognised doctors with a supported program grounded in individualised learning and workplace based assessment.
Participants in the Program must meet all requirements detailed in this policy to be awarded Fellowship of the RACGP.
This policy aims to describe the requirements for Fellowship for participants of the Practice Experience Program.
This policy applies to all participants in the Practice Experience Program.
For the purposes of this policy:
- Comprehensive Australian general practice means
- Continuity of care that is person-centred, comprehensive and coordinated; focusing on the whole person, and all presenting symptoms;
- Health promotion and illness prevention services that are based on patient need and the best available evidence;
- The diagnosis, treatment and management of the full range of undifferentiated conditions in a diverse range of individuals, families and communities not limited by practice intention or business focus; and
- Community-based general practice undertaken in Australia
This is an abridged definition distilled from the Competency profile of the Australian general practitioner at the point of Fellowship.
- Examinations means the Applied Knowledge Test (AKT), Key Feature Problem (KFP) and Objective Structured Clinical Exam (OSCE).
- Financial membership of the RACGP means a member who has: met the membership category requirements; had their complete membership application form accepted; and paid their membership fee in full.
- Full time general practice experience comprises a 38-hour minimum working week, over a minimum of four days per week, of which a minimum of 27 hours must be in face-to-face, rostered, patient consultation time undertaking general practice activities. Work periods of less than three consecutive hours, or of less than one month in any one practice, will not be considered. Hours worked beyond this definition of full time will not be considered.
- Part time general practice experience is calculated pro-rata against the definition of full time general practice experience. Part time general practice must comprise a 14.5-hour minimum working week, over a minimum of two days per week, of which a minimum of 10.5 hours must be in face-to-face, rostered, patient consultation time undertaking general practice activities. Work periods of less than three consecutive hours, or of less than one month in any one practice, will not be considered.
- Participant means a medical practitioner enrolled in the Practice Experience Program.
Participants in the PEP have program requirements and requirements for Fellowship, and must meet the stipulations outlined in each of the below clauses.
6. Program requirements
- Complete the PEP’s required educational components and assessments within the timeframe outlined in the participant’s Program Agreement.
- Have employment in Australian general practice that meets the minimum part time requirements for the duration of the Program.
- Notify the RACGP of any changes to their employment within ten business days and secure employment in general practice within three months to remain on the Program.
7.1 Experience requirements
- Have a minimum of five years full time equivalent general practice experience and seven years post-graduate experience, which must include one year of full time equivalent experience in comprehensive Australian general practice as assessed under the Assessment of General Practice Experience Policy.
7.2 Assessment requirements
Participants must pass the RACGP's Fellowship exams within the permitted six exam cycles as outlined in the Fellowship Exam Attempts Policy.
7.3 Professional and ethical requirements
The RACGP reserves the right to withhold awarding a participant Fellowship of the RACGP, if the RACGP reasonably considers the applicant:
- would be at risk of breaching clause 27 of RACGP's Constitution.
- is generally unsuitable to hold Fellowship of the RACGP as detailed in RACGP's Fit and Proper Fellow Policy.
7.4 Administrative requirements
- Hold current Australian medical registration at all times while in the Program. Candidates must disclose any restrictions on, or changes to, their medical registration to the RACGP. Failure to do this will be handled as per the Educational Misconduct Policy.
- Be a financial RACGP member from the time of joining the PEP.
- Apply for Fellowship within three years of successful completion of the three examinations in clause 7.2, or within one year of completion of all pathway requirements, whichever is the lesser. Application processes are detailed in the Guide to Applying for Fellowship.
All policies and guidance documents related to the Practice Experience Program are available at the policy page.
9.1 Access to published policy
This policy will be available via the RACGP website as detailed in clause 8.
9.2 Promulgation of published policy
Relevant staff members will be provided communications explaining the function and role of this policy.
9.3 Review of this policy
This policy will have a review cycle of one year.