1. General Practice Experience Pathway – Entry Policy
1.1 Category: Education
1.2 Approval date: July 2020
1.3 Revision due date: July 2023
1.4 Unit responsible: Education Services
2. Policy declaration
Prospective applicants must meet the requirements outlined in this policy to be accepted into the RACGP General Practice Experience Pathway.
The objective of this policy is to describe the entry requirements for, and the process by which an applicant may be accepted into, the General Practice Experience Pathway.
For the purposes of this policy:
- Applicant means a medical practitioner applying for entry into the General Practice Experience Pathway.
5. General principles
5.1 Pathway entry
To enter the pathway under this policy, applicants must:
- Be assessed as eligible to enter the pathway by either:
- holding a valid general practice experience assessment outcome with an outcome of at least one month in general practice, as assessed under the Assessment of General Practice Experience Assessment Policy, and provide evidence of general practice recognition from Services Australia; or
- holding a valid Program Agreement for the RACGP’s Practice Experience Program - Standard Stream (PEP Standard).
- Hold current medical registration in their current jurisdiction of practice. Applicants must promptly disclose all details of any:
Applicants with restrictions on their medical registration or any other regulatory activity may be refused entry into the General Practice Experience Pathway. Failure to disclose details regarding medical registration outlined in this subclause will be handled as per the Academic Misconduct Policy;
- restrictions on or changes to their medical registration; and
- regulatory authority activity, whether in Australia or otherwise, that:
- has led or may lead to a restriction on practice; or
- has led to an adverse finding for the medical practitioner, or forms part of an ongoing investigation.
- Be a financial RACGP member from the time of joining the General Practice Experience Pathway and throughout their candidature;
- Satisfy the Member Code of Conduct; and
- Resign their candidacy on any other RACGP pathways to Fellowship, including but not limited to the Specialist Pathway and the Vocational Training Pathway.
6. Granting entry
Assessment of an applicant’s eligibility to enter the General Practice Experience Pathway will be determined on the criteria outlined in clause 5.1 above. The decision to grant entry into the General Practice Experience Pathway is at RACGP's absolute discretion.
If an applicant believes that a decision regarding their entry into the General Practice Experience Pathway has been made incorrectly, they may apply for reconsideration in line with the RACGP Reconsiderations and Appeals Policy.
An application for reconsideration must be submitted to the RACGP within ten national office business days of the date of the original decision.
8. Related policies, documents and legislation
All related policies are available here.
All related guidance documents are available here.
9. Administrative procedures
9.1 Access to published policy
This policy will be available via the RACGP website as detailed in clause 8.
9.2 Promulgation of published policy
Relevant staff members will be provided communications explaining the function and role of this policy.
9.3 Review of this policy
This policy will have a review cycle of three years.