Your mentor training will be divided into two areas: The role of the mentor and mentoring tools and traps.
Topic: The Role of the Mentor
This topic focuses on requirements for your role as a mentor, specifically:
- Introduction to mentees;
- Understand how to enhance networks for building resilience;
- Distinguish between the role of coach and mentor.
Topic: Mentoring Tools and Traps
This topic focuses on developing knowledge of how mentoring optimises human performance, specifically and the importance of the context in which mentoring is being applied:
- Establish relationship boundaries;
- Develop active listening skills as a mentor;
- Recognise conscious and unconscious bias, the risk of the ‘halo’ effect and focusing on being the best that you can be as a mentor.
Topic: Self Care for Mentors: How to Protect your mental wellbeing
In this interactive session, mentors will learn about the importance of self-care and how to protect their mental wellbeing. Specifically, the session will cover:
- Contemporary definitions and models of mental wellbeing;
- Factors that influence the mental wellbeing of medical professionals;
- The link between stress, self-care, mental wellbeing and performance;
- A personal audit of existing self-care practices, and opportunities for extension;
- Learning and practicing evidence-based strategies for strengthening mental wellbeing;
- Developing a self-care Action Plan for the year ahead;
- A brief word on burnout, depression, anxiety, suicide and help-seeking