28 Aug 2019
Notice of RACGP policy update
This notice is to advise of an update to the RACGP's Vocational Training Pathway Academic Posts Policy.
What has changed?
New policy has been developed to increase flexibility for registrars on the AGPT Program undertaking Academic Posts. Previously, part time (less than 0.5 FTE over 12 months) completion of the concurrent clinical work has not been available owing to the following requirements:
- Registrars must complete their Post concurrently with clinical work, in order to ensure continuity of care and sufficient exposure to clinical work during training;
- The minimum recognised clinical load for registrars is 14.5 hours per week, undertaken over two days; and
- The average academic load for a registrar undertaking a Post is around 19 hours per week.
The RACGP recognises that these requirements, while important in ensuring sufficient clinical experience, may prevent some registrars from taking up the opportunity to complete an Academic Post.
From 2020, the updated policy is intended to allow registrars to complete their Academic Post (part time, at 0.5 full time equivalent) with greater flexibility in their clinical work, permitting a clinical load of fewer than 14.5 hours per week under the following conditions:
- The registrar has completed a minimum of 12 months' general practice experience in RACGP accredited general practice training posts under the guidance of a RACGP accredited supervisor. Registrars must have been assessed as having completed two years full time equivalent active training time, including all of GPT1 and GPT2.
- The registrar has passed all three of the Fellowship exam segments.
- The RTO's Director of Training and the RACGP have approved the arrangement.
Where can I view the documents?
The updated policy can be accessed via the Fellowship Pathways Policy Framework.
What if I have questions?
If you have any enquiries relating to the updated policy please contact Julie-Anne Pho at email@example.com