This policy is currently under review. Until we publish the new policy, this version remains valid and applicable.
1. Vocational Training Pathway – Examination Eligibility Policy
1.1 Policy number: CO-E-006.0
1.2 Category: Education
1.3 Approval date: November 2016
1.4 Revision due date: November 2019
1.5 Unit responsible: Education Services
2. Policy declaration
Registrars on the Vocational Training Pathway must meet the requirements detailed in this policy to be eligible to undertake the examinations.
This policy is approved by Council and authorised by the CEO.
The objectives of this policy are to describe the examination eligibility requirements for Registrars.
This policy applies to Registrars in the Australian General Practice Training (AGPT) program or the Remote Vocational Training Scheme (RVTS).
For the purposes of this policy:
- Active training time means any post completed by a Registrar while in the Vocational Training Pathway including hospital posts, Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) with time credit, General Practice Term (GPT) 1, GPT2, GPT3, and extended skills. It does not include other electives or Advanced Rural Skills Training.
- Registrar means a medical practitioner who is enrolled in the Vocational Training Pathway.
- Examinations refers to the Applied Knowledge Test (AKT), Key Feature Problems (KFP) and Clinical Examination, which depending on the time of sitting, is the Objective Structured Clinical Exam (OSCE), Remote Clinical Exam (RCE) or Clinical Competency Exam (CCE).
5. Eligibility requirements for AGPT and RVTS Registrars
The following examination eligibility requirements apply to both AGPT and RVTS Registrars.
5.1 Registrars must hold current Australian medical registration at all times while on the Vocational Training Pathway and to be eligible for the examinations. Candidates must disclose any restrictions, conditions, suspensions and or/undertakings on their practise or changes to their medical registration to the RACGP. Candidates must disclose changes to their medical registration to the RACGP via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Failure to do this will be handled as per the Academic Misconduct Policy.
5.2 Registrars must be a financial RACGP member from the time of joining the Vocational Training Pathway and throughout their candidature.
5.3 Registrars must have approval to undertake the examination from their vocational training provider. The vocational training provider must provide confirmation to the RACGP that:
a. the Registrar has, or will have, completed the required training time as detailed in either clause 6 or 7 of this policy
b. the Registrar has been assessed as ready to undertake the examination. For further information, see RACGP’s Readiness to Undertake an Examination Guidance Document.
5.4 Registrars who are enrolled in an examination but leave the AGPT Program or RVTS prior to sitting the examination may be permitted to undertake the examination provided they meet the eligibility requirements detailed in this policy.
6. Eligibility requirements for RVTS Registrars only
To be eligible to undertake the AKT, KFP and Clinical Examination, RVTS Registrars must have been assessed as having completed 12 months in the RVTS by the date of the AKT.
7. Eligibility requirements for AGPT Registrars only
To be eligible to undertake the AKT, KFP and Clinical Examination, AGPT Registrars must have been assessed as having completed 2 years full time equivalent active training time, including all of GPT1 and GPT2, by the date of the AKT.
Where the vocational end of term date falls up to 28 calendar days beyond the date of the AKT, an RTO exemption will be granted to allow registrars to sit the examination.
8. Change in eligibility status
If at any time a Registrar becomes ineligible for an examination after enrolment in that examination (no longer eligible under clause 5, 6 or 7) then they must inform the RACGP and withdraw. Failure to do this will be handled as per the Academic Misconduct Policy.
9. Related policies, documents and legislation
All policies and guidance documents related to the Vocational Training Pathway are available on our policy page.
10. Administrative procedures
10.1 Access to published policy
This policy will be available via the RACGP website.
10.2 Promulgation of published policy
Relevant staff members will be provided communications explaining the function and role of this policy.
10.3 Review of this policy
This policy will have a review cycle of three years.