1. Registrar Membership Policy
1.1 Policy number: CO-E-0013.0
1.2 Category: Education
1.3 Approval date: March 2016
1.4 Revision due date: March 2019
1.5 Unit responsible: Education Services
2. Policy declaration
Registrars must be a financial RACGP member from the time of joining the Vocational Training Pathway and throughout their candidature.
This policy is authorised by the CEO.
Holding financial RACGP membership throughout candidature is a requirement for Fellowship for Registrars in the Vocational Training Pathway:
Clause 5.5.1b of the Vocational Training Pathway – Requirements for Fellowship Policy designates that from 1 January 2016, Registrars must be a financial RACGP memberfrom the time of joining the Vocational Training Pathway and throughout their candidature.
The objectives of this policy are to describe how Registrars can fulfil the Vocational Training Pathway membership requirement and the consequence for non-compliance.
This policy applies to Registrars training towards the FRACGP in the Australian General Practice Training (AGPT) program or the Remote Vocational Training Scheme (RVTS).
For the purposes of this policy:
- Approved leave means leave approved by:
- a Regional Training Organisation (RTO) in accordance with AGPT policies;
- the Department of Health (DoH) in accordance with AGPT policies; or
- Registrar means a medical practitioner who is enrolled in the Vocational Training Pathway.
- Financial RACGP member means a member who has: met the membership category requirements; had their complete membership application form accepted; and paid their membership fee in full.
- FRACGP means the award of Fellowship of the RACGP
- Vocational Training Pathway means the RACGP’s three year (full time equivalent) specialist general practice vocational training program leading to the FRACGP. There are two entry points into the Vocational Training Pathway: the AGTP; and the RVTS.
5. Fulfilling the Vocational Training Pathway membership requirement
5.1 Membership start date
5.1.1 Registrars continuing training towards the FRACGP in 2016, must be a financial RACGP member from 1 January 2016.
5.1.2 Registrars commencing training towards the FRACGP in 2016 and future years, must be a financial RACGP member prior to commencing their first day of training in the AGPT or RVTS.
5.2 Membership and Recognition of Prior Learning
Recognition of Prior Learning applications are confirmed upon entry into AGPT or RVTS. There is no requirement for RACGP membership prior to commencement in the AGPT or RVTS.
5.3 Membership type
Registrars must join under the Registrar Associate membership type. Registrars’ training will not be recognised under any other membership type.
5.4 Membership and training post
Registrars must hold financial RACGP membership throughout their candidature, whether they will be training in a hospital post, community post, or general practice term during a membership period.
5.5 Responsibility for membership
The responsibility to meet the Vocational Training Pathway membership requirement rests with individual registrars.
5.6 Membership during approved periods of leave
Registrars may suspend RACGP membership during periods of approved leave three months or greater in duration, on provision of appropriate supporting evidence. It should be noted however, that access to all RACGP member benefits (including eligibility to sit the exams) is suspended during approved periods of leave. For further details, see RACGP’s Registrar Membership Guidance Document.
Suspension of candidacy applies to either Category 1 or Category 2 leave, provided leave has been approved by the registrar’s RTO. For more information on types of leave, please see the AGPT Program Leave Policy.
6. Consequence for non-compliance
Only training undertaken while a Registrar is a financial RACGP member will be recognised towards their requirements for Fellowship.
However, under exceptional circumstances consideration may be given to recognise training undertaken during a period when a Registrar was not a financial RACGP member. Approval is always subject to the payment of membership arrears. For further details, see RACGP’s Registrar Membership Guidance Document.
7. Related policies, documents and legislation
All policies and guidance documents related to the Vocational Training Pathway are available on our policy page.
8. Administrative procedures
8.1 Access to published policy
This policy will be available via the RACGP website as detailed in clause 7.
8.2 Promulgation of published policy
Relevant staff members will be provided communications explaining the function and role of this policy.
8.3 Review of this policy
This policy will have a review cycle of three years.