1. Practice Experience Program Exam Eligibility Policy
1.1 Policy number: CO-E-0045.0
1.2 Category: Education
1.3 Approval date: September 2018
1.4 Revision due date: September 2019
1.5 Unit responsible: Education Services
2. Policy declaration
The RACGP Practice Experience Program (PEP) has been developed to provide non-vocationally recognised doctors with a supported program grounded in individualised learning and workplace based assessment.
Participants must meet the requirements detailed in this policy to be eligible to sit Fellowship exams.
This policy aims to describe the examination eligibility requirements for participants enrolled in the Practice Experience Program.
This policy applies to all participants in the Practice Experience Program.
For the purposes of this policy:
- Examinations or examination segment means the Applied Knowledge Test (AKT), Key Feature Problem (KFP) and Objective Structured Clinical Exam (OSCE).
- Financial membership of the RACGP means a member who has: met the membership category requirements; had their complete membership application form accepted; and paid their membership fee in full.
- Full time general practice experience comprises a 38-hour minimum working week, over a minimum of four days per week, of which a minimum of 27 hours must be in face-to-face, rostered, patient consultation time undertaking general practice activities. Work periods of less than three consecutive hours, or of less than one month in any one practice, will not be considered. Hours worked beyond this definition of full time will not be considered.
- Part time general practice experience is calculated pro-rata against the definition of full time general practice experience. Part time general practice must comprise a 14.5-hour minimum working week, over a minimum of two days per week, of which a minimum of 10.5 hours must be in face-to-face, rostered, patient consultation time undertaking general practice activities. Work periods of less than three consecutive hours, or of less than one month in any one practice, will not be considered.
- Participant means a medical practitioner enrolled in the Practice Experience Program.
5. Eligibility requirements
5.1 Participants may not sit Fellowship examinations whilst still in the PEP.
5.2 Participants may enrol in examinations prior to completion of Program time, but must have completed allocated Program time by the time that they sit the exams.
5.3 Prior to enrolling in any examination, participants must:
- Have completed:
- Four years’ full time equivalent general practice experience in the last ten years;
- One year’s full time equivalent general practice experience in the last four years;
- One year’s full time equivalent general Australian general practice experience in the last four years;
- Six months’ full time equivalent in comprehensive Australian general practice experience in the last four years, as assessed under the Assessment of General Practice Experience Policy.
- Hold current Australian medical registration from the date of entering the PEP and throughout their candidature. Participants must promptly disclose all details of any:
Presenting for exams may not be permitted if the participant is subject to restrictions on their medical registration or any other regulatory authority activity. Failure to disclose 5.1.ci or 5.1.cii will be handled as per the Educational Misconduct Policy.
- restrictions on or changes to their medical registration; and/or
- regulatory authority activity, whether in Australia or otherwise, that:
- has led or may lead to a restriction on practice; or
- has led to an adverse finding for the medical practitioner, or forms part of an ongoing investigation.
- Be a financial RACGP member from the time of joining the PEP, throughout their participation in the PEP and at the point of exam enrolment.
6. Change in eligibility status
If at any time a participant becomes ineligible for entry to any RACGP Fellowship examination after enrolment, they must inform the RACGP and withdraw from the exam. Failure to do this will be handled as per the Educational Misconduct Policy.
7. Related policies, documents and legislation
All policies and guidance documents related to the Practice Experience Program are available at the policy page.
8. Administrative procedures
8.1 Access to published policy
This policy will be available via the RACGP website as detailed in clause 7.
8.2 Promulgation of published policy
Relevant staff members will be provided communications explaining the function and role of this policy.
8.3 Review of this policy
This policy will have a review cycle of three years.