The RACGP website is undergoing scheduled maintenance on Tuesday, 5th December 2023 from 7:00 AM to 9:00 AM AEDT. During this time, the application will be unavailable. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Work locations

Where can I work in general practice?

There are a number of new changes that affect where Specialist international doctors moving to Australia can work. These changes have been implemented by the Australian Government to improve access to primary healthcare services to communities where there is a genuine need. These areas are generally outside metropolitan regions in Australia (or MMM1 areas).

To understand how these changes may apply to you and where you can work in Australia, please refer to the relevant government websites listed below. The table below provides a guide only and it is recommended that you contact the relevant Government agency website for detailed information about the following workforce requirements.

For information about: