Vocational Register and Fellows List requirements
GPs planning to leave general practice for more than three months need to temporarily remove their name from the list of recognised GPs (Vocational Register).
Forms to remove or reinstate GP names are available from National QI&CPD Unit.
GPs on the Medicare Fellows List may choose to remove or not remove their name from the Medicare Australia’s list of Recognised GPs if they are planning to leave general practice for more than three months. However, requirements of the QI&CPD program need to be satisfied while they are on the list.
GPs who access any Medicare program or service, and are absent from general practice for more than three consecutive months in the triennium may apply for special consideration. The National QI&CPD office should be contacted in advance for advice.
All recognised GPs (those with access to Medicare programs and services), who are non-members of the RACGP are required to pay the annual QI&CPD participation fee. Non-payment will regard the GP as not completing the QI&CPD program requirements and the GP will be reported to and removed from accessing the Medicare programs and services.
If a GP wishes for their name to remain on Medicare Australia’s list of Recognised GP’s (Vocational Register/ Fellows List) the following conditions apply:
- All GPs need to meet the minimum QI&CPD program requirements regardless of how little or how often they practice as a GP.
- Medicare Australia holds and maintains the list of Recognised GPs and informs the RACGP of any changes. Medicare Australia is the only organisation authorised to change the status of a Recognised GP.
- Removal of a GP’s name from the list of Recognised GPs does not prevent the GP from practicing medicine or continuing to be a GP. Please contact Medicare Australia for further information.
- GPs remain eligible for reinstatement to the list of Recognised GPs, no matter the duration they have been removed and/or out of general practice, so long as they hold current medical registration and are returning predominantly to general practice (The “Predominantly in General Practice” rule only applies to GPs who are included on the Vocational Register with Medicare Australia) and have no outstanding QI&CPD Program requirements including fees and points.
- Contact the National QI&CPD office to arrange to be reinstated on the list of Recognised GPs. Please allow at least three weeks, prior to returning to work, to complete the administrative process, as Medicare Australia is unable to reinstate a GP retrospectively.
- Satisfactory completion of QI&CPD Program requirements up to the time that the name was removed from Medicare Australia’s list of Recognised GPs is a prerequisite to being reinstated on the list.
Please contact the National QI&CPD office regarding access to Medicare programs and services (Vocation Register, Fellows List, After Hours Programs) using the contact details below.