To update and provide practical guidance to GP's and practice staff on nutrition to support working with women, pre-conception and during pregnancy.
Relevance to General Practice
Nutrition advice is critical in pre-conception (every woman aged 15-49years should be considered) and during pregnancy.
In the pre-conception phase, GP's are frontline and are considered to have many opportunities to provide pregnancy-preparation counselling such as nutrition, lifestyle and supplementation advice when a woman is considering a pregnancy. This is to ensure not only optimal growth and development of the baby, but also ensure the optimal health of the mother.
GP's are well placed to discuss diet and nutrition during pregnancy, especially the early stages, and identify women in need of more specialised dietary advice from a dietitian.
Australian research has indicated that women are not consuming the recommended intakes of foods during pregnancy and this is an important area for GP's and practice staff to play an important role in the health of the mother and the child.
- Generate a wholistic multi-disciplinary approach to managing women peri-conception and during pregnancy.
- Describe the role of pre-conception nutrition in terms of fertility, foetal development and adult health.
- Provide evidence based food recommendations to improve ovulation and fertility.
- Define dietary recommendations for pregnancy and define strategies for achieving.
- Promote optimal nutrition pre-conception & during pregnancy by developing/providing handouts to women interested in having a family/ considering conception.
Domains of General Practice
D1. Communication skills and the patient-doctor relationship
D2. Applied professional knowledge and skills
D3. Population health and the context of general practice
D4. Professional and ethical role
D5. Organisational and legal dimensions
Curriculum Contextual Units
- Adult health
- Children and young people health
- Pregnancy care
- Women's health
- Sexual and reproductive health
This activity is also available on these dates