The Audience - 2019 GP section group.
Provide relevant updates and skill training so that GPs can develop assessment skills in investigating patients with Neurologic conditions in their clinic setting. Six meetings with two speakers at 1.5 hours facilitated by GPs and Sah. The section GPs will be requested to attend four out of six meetings and complete reinforcing activity to gain CAT 1 points.
Relevance to General Practice
General practice plays a critical role in the prevention and diagnosis of neurologic conditions. The GP section has requested a concentrated approach of learning and applying the knowledge and skills across the subject of Neurology. The area of neuroradiology is changing and new developments have occurred in the neurosciences arena. Patients are becoming increasingly interested in viewing their brain anatomy on imaging and requesting this upon presenting to GPs. They are also interested in correlation if disease with CNS anatomy. Increasingly, comments from our department have highlighted the need to understand gaps in knowledge regarding Neurologic conditions. See attached predisposing activity.
- Correlate disease with CNS anatomy. Pinpoint the are of the brain on CT or MRI causing the patient symptoms and discuss treatment and referral ( Stroke protocol
- Identify the difference on CT of a haemorrahgic ( subarachnoid vs subdural) and ischemic stroke and discuss CT imaging cases.Apply this knowledge in GP clinic.
- Differentiate the clinical features of an upper motor neuron versus a lower motor neuron lesion in learned topics.
- Identify the neurologic assessment skills to use for each learned neurology topic: Parkinsons, MS, Migraine and Stroke and Dementia
- Identify the new treatments available for the learned topic for use in your practice.
Domains of General Practice
D1. Communication skills and the patient-doctor relationship
D2. Applied professional knowledge and skills
D3. Population health and the context of general practice
D4. Professional and ethical role
D5. Organisational and legal dimensions
Curriculum Contextual Units
- Adult health
- Men's health
- Women's health
Adventist HealthCare - Sydney Adventist Hospital
This activity is also available on these dates