The aim of this activity is to introduce doctors to Australian General Practice. After completing this ALM, doctors will be have a good understanding of the Australian medical system, Medicare and Pharmaceutical Benefit Scheme. They will also be able to apply their consultation skills to the general practice environment.
Relevance to General Practice
This ALM - Introduction to Australian General Practice is created to address the learning needs of doctors entering work in Australian General Practice. The Australian medical system, Medicare, Pharmaceutical Benefit Scheme and consultation in general practice are important information and skills for doctors entering Australian general practice.
- Prescribe Schedule 8 medicines within PBS and state/territory regulations.
- Describe the Australian Health Care System including the role general practice plays.
- Work within Medicare guidelines for appropriate billing.
- Prescribe within Pharmaceutical Benefit Scheme regulations.
- Apply consultation skills to the general practice environment.
Domains of General Practice
D1. Communication skills and the patient-doctor relationship
D2. Applied professional knowledge and skills
D3. Population health and the context of general practice
D4. Professional and ethical role
D5. Organisational and legal dimensions
Curriculum Contextual Units
- General practice teaching
This activity is also available on these dates