This Clinical Audit will allow GPs to assess their current surgical practice by way of analysis and evaluations of diagnostic and histological excisions. This will be with done with graphical data and verbal communication with Specialist Histopathologists; and followed through the use of graphs and statistical reports which will be generated biannually.
Relevance to General Practice
Title: Kossard Surgical Skin Audit
Topic: Doctors partaking in this audit will be able to confidently identify, investigate, diagnose, excise and treat all forms of skin lesions in the practice setting.
Doctors and nursing staff will be able to establish and formulate a strategy for patients at risk of developing skin disorders, and develop, apply and implement a procedure whereby patients are assessed regularly, with recall for those patients who may be at risk.
Doctors will also be able to assess and compare their own statistics against peers in a confidential setting to ensure their patients are receiving best practice care.
• In 2010, almost 780 000 skin cancers were diagnosed and treated in Australia, which also has the highest incidence of skin cancer in the world. 1
• Melanoma represents 10% of all cancers, with more than 10,300 cases diagnosed annually.
- See attached information
- Be able to assess surgical practice by analysing, evaluating diagnostic & histological excision and biopsies.
- To be able to enhance and confidently identify, investigate, diagnose, exercise and treat all forms of skin lesions in their practice setting
- Establish and formulate a risk stratification for patients in the practicer setting those at risk of developing skin disorders.
- To develop a recall system annually for skin checks for those patients who are at risk.
- To be able to assess and compare their own statistics against peers in a confidential setting to ensure their patients are receiving best practice care.
Domains of General Practice
D1. Communication skills and the patient-doctor relationship
D2. Applied professional knowledge and skills
D3. Population health and the context of general practice
D4. Professional and ethical role
D5. Organisational and legal dimensions
Curriculum Contextual Units
- Adult health
- Children and young people health
- Oncology and palliative care