The FPS ST package provides rural GPs with a flexible, accessible opportunity to develop skills in the provision of evidence based FPS derived from Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) as part of a treatment plan for common mental health problems. Its content is relevant to GPs in every setting.
The program consists of four Modules:
1 Antidepressant prescribing in general practice clinical audit
2. Cognitive behavioural therapy skills for general practice ALM -
3. Focused Psychological Strategies Skills Training - Case based Consultation
4. Mental Health Consumer & Carer Interviews Webinar
Completion of the FPS ST package prior to 31 December 2019, enables GPs to apply for FPS provider status with Medicare.
Relevance to General Practice
Research undertaken by RACGP Rural in 2014 has revealed a strong need for advanced mental health skills in rural communities. Extensive analysis of findings indicates that, despite high demand, mental health training in its current form is not meeting the upskilling needs of GPs working in rural and remote communities.
The FPS ST package provides an accessible pathway approach, achieved through modular learning, and will enable more rural GPs to acquire these skills whist remaining in their community.
- Discuss the range of evidence-based FPS and the rationale for their use in different clinical circumstances.
- Practice communication skills specific to working with patients with mental illness and reflect on own practice.
- Identify own patients with diagnosed anxiety and depression and review own practice against established standards of practice.
- Identify ways in which GPs can respond to the needs of consumers and carers.
Domains of General Practice
D1. Communication skills and the patient-doctor relationship
D2. Applied professional knowledge and skills
D3. Population health and the context of general practice
D4. Professional and ethical role
D5. Organisational and legal dimensions
Curriculum Contextual Units
This activity is also available on these dates