One and a half days education seminar which will be a vital component in providing GPs with a holistic picture of diagnosis, new treatment options and the latest updates in cutting edge liver technology. This educational seminar intends to provide an open channel of communication between the specialist and the General Practitioner.
Relevance to General Practice
There is an increasing burden of liver disease within the community. Whether it is viral hepatitis(Hepatitis B and C predominantly), alcoholic or substance abuse related liver problems, non alcoholic fatty liver disease or a genetic syndrome, the Liver Foundation of WA recognises the fundamental role GP’s have in managing patients with liver problems. As the primary healthcare provider, GP’s are uniquely positioned to support screening, diagnosis and treatment with life long medications that such patients often require.
This seminar will also focus on the new Hepatitis C treatment which has recently become PBS available.
- Articulate the role of General Practice in the treatment of various facets of liver disease - both adult and paediatric.
- Identify opportunities for shared care liver patients in their practice.
- Identify the unique long term health issues faced by liver transplant survivors and patients on treatment. Update on new Hep C medication.
- Identify the barriers and challenges to the effective diagnosis and clinical management of people with viral hepatitis, alcoholic hepatitis and NAFLD.
- Understand the support pathways while working together with the liver transplant unit for optimum patient care.
Domains of General Practice
D1. Communication skills and the patient-doctor relationship
D2. Applied professional knowledge and skills
D3. Population health and the context of general practice
D4. Professional and ethical role
D5. Organisational and legal dimensions
Curriculum Contextual Units
- Rural health
- Adult health
- Sex, sexuality, gender diversity and health
- Addiction medicine
- Oncology and palliative care
- Integrative medicine
The Liver Foundation of Western Australia
This activity is also available on these dates