To educate GP's on what maternity services are available at Northern Beaches Hospital so they can advise their patients what would be the most suitable one for them
Relevance to General Practice
Curriculum for Australian General Practice 2016
"General practitioners (GPs) carry out a number of important roles
in regard to pregnancy irrespective of whether a GP has received
specialised training in obstetric care. The importance of prenatal
counselling to optimise outcomes, as well as antenatal, intrapartum
and postnatal care, cannot be underestimated.
According to Bettering the Evaluation and Care of Health (BEACH) data, pregnancy and family planning consultations accounted for 2.3% of general practice consultations in 2014–15.
56.7% of Australian general practice consultations are with women. GP's carry out a number of important roles in regards to pregnancy irrespective of whether or not they have received specialised training in obstetric care(RACGP Curriculum 2017).
- GP's will be able to describe & discuss the options for maternity services & suitable treatment options their patients.
- GP's will be able to identify key factors to consider when planning what is the most suitable management of their maternity patients from a risk perspective.
- GP's will be able to explain to their patients the booking and admission process for both public and private patients & how their care will be managed.
- GP's will be able to discuss what information is to be included for the referral of patients to maternity services in both public and private hospitals.
- * By the end of the activity GPs will be able to utilise course reference material and specialist information to identify effective referral pathways and option
Domains of General Practice
D1. Communication skills and the patient-doctor relationship
D2. Applied professional knowledge and skills
D3. Population health and the context of general practice
D4. Professional and ethical role
D5. Organisational and legal dimensions
Curriculum Contextual Units
- Adult health
- Pregnancy care
- Women's health