Is there a link between vitamin D and conditions like depression and diseases like bowel cancer?
Vitamin D levels may be linked to depression and some medical conditions. If you have specific concerns or symptoms, talk to your GP, who will be able to advise you about the link between particular conditions and vitamin D.
If I am taking a vitamin D supplement, when should I get re-tested?
Wait at least three months before having another test.2
What else can I do to maintain my vitamin D and healthy bones?
There are many ways of increasing your vitamin D levels, including:1
- exercising outside (but don’t stay out in the sun too long)
- doing a variety of exercise, including cardio and strength training
- maintaining a healthy weight
- eating foods rich in vitamin D (such as salmon, tuna, sardines, egg yolk, fortified cereals) and foods rich in calcium (such as milk, yoghurt, cheese, beans, lentils, fruits, nuts and seeds)
- preventing falls
- giving up smoking
- reducing your consumption of alcohol.