To perform wet combing using the Hill Trial1 method:
- Wash the hair using an ordinary shampoo.
- Apply ample conditioner to aid straightening and detangling.
- Straighten and detangle the wet hair using a wide-toothed comb.
- Once the comb moves freely through the hair without dragging, switch to a detection comb.
- Make sure the teeth of the comb slot into the hair at the roots, with the deeply bevelled edge lightly touching the scalp, and draw the comb down to the ends of the hair with every stroke.
- Check the comb for lice after each stroke, and remove them by wiping or rinsing the comb.
- Work through the hair section by section.
- Rinse out the conditioner.
- Repeat the combing procedure in the wet hair to check for any lice that might have been missed the first time.
The Quit Nits Combing Solution® method is similar to above, except the solution is used instead of conditioner.
All methods advocate repeating the procedure regularly until no further lice are found:
- Bug Buster – repeat every 4 days for 2 weeks
- Quit Nits – repeat every 7 days for 2 weeks