Either sucrose or glucose can be given, as long as they have sufficient sweetness:
The recommended maximum dose of sweet solution is:
- Babies 0-1 months: 0.2 – 1 ml per procedure (up to 5mls in 24h)
- Infants 1-18 months: 1-2 mls per procedure (up to 5mls in 24h).
For multiple immunisations, the total dose of solution should be given prior to and throughout the procedure to ensure sustained effects.
It is important to administer the sweet solution directly onto the tongue. The steps are:
- Prepare the total amount of sucrose or glucose to be given orally, using an orange oral medication syringe.
- Give approximately one quarter of the total amount 2 minutes before starting the procedure.
- Offer a dummy if this is a normal part of the infant’s care.
- Incrementally give the rest of the solution throughout the procedure, as needed.
Analgesic effects peak at 2 minutes and last for 3-5 minutes.