Date: November 2019
The RACGP has provided a submission to the review of the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) Act and the new NDIS Participant Service Guarantee.
The RACGP submission makes a number of recommendations to improve the NDIS process. These recommendations have been developed based on member feedback on the current operation of the NDIS, and GPs’ involvement with and experience of the NDIS as it has been rolled out across Australia.
The recommendations cover areas including:
- accessing the NDIS
- ensuring that staffing levels are adequate and staff are appropriately qualified and trained to undertake their role
- standardising forms and processes
- improving communication
- enhancing the role of GPs in the NDIS planning process
- recognising the role of GPs in preparing reports for NDIS applicants
- the principles included in the new Participant Service Guarantee.