Date: 3 March 2023
The RACGP has provided a submission to the Department of Health and Aged Care regarding their Consultation Regulation Impact Statement (CRIS) on general practice data and electronic clinical decision support (eCDS).
The response balances the need for reform in the current approach to the management of secondary uses of general practice data and eCDS tools against the risk of burdening general practices with further administration. The RACGP advocates for:
- The implementation of standards for interoperability between clinical information systems
- No change to current standards for or regulation of GP data entry
- Reforms to data management across the wider healthcare system, not merely in general practice
- The GP’s clinical authority in decision making
- The central role of the GP in analysing and interpreting general practice data
- The development of eCDS tools that are trustworthy, user-friendly, and align with clinical workflows
- A role of the RACGP in leading work in the development of standards for eCDS.
Read the submission
RACGP response - General practice data and eCDS CRIS (PDF)