The RACGP has a long history of providing organisations with representation. By providing representation to external organisations, the RACGP ensures appropriately trained and experienced GPs provide a professional voice to promote, not only General Practice, but also the priorities and overall objectives of the College in health policy, guideline development and health service strategy.
Requesting College Representation
The College is often approached to provide advice or representation on a wide range of external committees, working parties and other initiatives.
If you would like to have a representative from the RACGP as part of your consultation process, please complete the Request for Representation Form and submit to the Representatives and Endorsements Coordinator online or by downloading the form and sending electronically to the contact details below. Please allow a minimum of 6 weeks notice, in this way allowing potential representatives adequate time to plan and make appropriate arrangements. Complete and email the request for representation form below.
The following information is required for submission:
- Details of the role of the committee and brief description of aims, objectives (including the reason why you think it is important to have College representation)
- The date of the meeting/s or teleconferences
- Where the meetings are held (if applicable)
- Define the request as either a GP representative or a College staff member
- Role expectations eg. College representative, GP nominee, expert
- The expected time commitment required and if work is expected of members outside of meetings
- The honorarium available to the GP for expense incurred:
- Sitting fees (include hourly rate)
- Travel and out of pocket expenses
- Details of expected travel and accommodation requirements and reimbursement
- Whether the committee is time limited or ongoing
- Specific reading or support material for the representative
Failure to meet or provide information may result in an unfavourable outcome.
Becoming a College Representative
As part of advocacy for its membership, the RACGP encourages the participation of its members in a variety of external committees, working parties and other groups affecting the health of all Australians.
The College is always looking to grow our National Representatives Registry and we are interested in identifying members with special interests as well as those generalists with a broad range of skills in primary health care.
From time to time, members on the National RACGP Representatives Registry will be called upon to provide comment and feedback on various issues as well as invitations to participate in meetings. Representation roles vary in their nature, from high, strategic level to highly content specific focus on one clinical area. As a College representative, members have an opportunity to provide expert advice, represent the view of the College, be the voice of general practice, and meet health professionals with similar interests. Other benefits include:
- Learning skills to represent the College
- Training and education resources/opportunities available to College Representatives
- Peer networking opportunities
- The opportunity to influence local, state and national initiatives
- Acknowledgement and participation in the Representatives workshop held at the RACGP Annual Scientific meeting
If you are interested in joining the National College Representatives Registry complete and email the expressions of interest form below.
The College recognises those GPs with interest and expertise in a specific area of clinical practice. If you would like to find out more about existing College specific interest networks, visit the National Faculty of Specific Interest
Feeding back to the College
Representatives currently representing the RACGP are required to brief the College on the meetings attended. This feedback process ensures continual communication and active engagement of representatives to identify current topics relevant to the strategic objectives and focus of the College. It also provides a mechanism for representatives to raise issues, requests or provide suggestions for ongoing improvement. Complete and email the feedback form for current RACGP representatives below.
Submission and enquiries
Representatives and Endorsements Coordinator
The Royal Australian College of General Practitioners
If you have any queries call: 03 8699 0479